Further to the ETU Notice issued on 11 February below is an update on the fatal incident that occurred in Western Australia on 3 February involving High Voltage Oil Insulated Fuse Switch Units.
Please read and understand the resolution carried by the NSW ETU State Council relating to this matter and subsequent bans relating to work on this equipment.
Click here for the latest WA EnergySafety media release and link to WA EnergySafety's preliminary findings and Work Orders.
All NSW ETU members should read the above information and be aware of the dangers this equipment may present. It is also important for all NSW ETU members to read and understand the resolution adopted by your state council as outlined below restricting work on oil insulated fuse switch units across NSW and the ACT.
Resolution on the Galleria Shopping centre incident on 3 February 2015 (Morley, WA) that resulted in two fatalities and seriously injured two others.
1. The ETU calls upon all employers and electrical safety regulators to conduct immediate safety audits in all workplaces where high voltage oil insulated fuse switch units are in operation; and
2. The NSW Branch of the ETU implements a live work ban on Long and Crawford / GEC / ALSTOM high voltage oil insulated fuse switch units (eg GF3, T4GF3 etc).
3. The NSW Branch of the ETU implement bans on any operating work (such as checking and/or changing of high voltage fuses in fuse switches of this type of equipment) without the high voltage feeder being de-energised into the fuse switch.
Further information is available below:
- ETU National Safety Alert: HV Oil Insulated Fuse Switch Units
- Endeavour Energy Safety Bulletin (12 Feb): Explosion in Morley, Western Australia
- Endeavour Energy Safety Bulletin Update (18 Feb)
- Welsh Government Hazard Alert: Fuse Switch Long & Crawford
- Correspondence from ETU NSW to WorkCover
- Correspondence from ETU NSW to the NSW Electricity Industry Safety Steering Committee
We will continue to monitor this situation and provide updates for members.