Electrical Contracting, Service Industry and Equipment Technicians
Electrical Contracting, Service Industry and Equipment Technicians
Most Sydney Kone lift workers will enjoy pay rises of up to $5 per hour thanks to a new site allowance matrix voted up today.
The boost comes on top of the 16 per cent wage increase won by Kone employees in a hard-fought EBA campaign last year.
Around 170 lift technicians and fitters working in the company’s installation and modernisation sections will receive the higher rates from February.
The new site allowance varies between $2 per hour, for projects valued under $10 million, to $7 per hour, for contracts over $700 million. This replaces current rates of $1.76 per hour.
Union members won the higher rates after the Federal Government’s building watchdog rejected a site allowance clause in Kone’s recently-negotiated EBA.
ETU organiser Steve Bankes said the new matrix ‘is a first for the industry’ because site allowance now sits within the Kone enterprise agreement.
‘This sets the standard not just for lift companies but for other electrical employers across NSW,’ said Steve.
‘In future negotiations, we will push to extend similar standards throughout the industry.’
Steve said the outcome reflects the strength of union members at Kone.
‘When you join your union and stick together, you get results. Congratulations to our members at Kone,’ he said.
The ETU office will be closed between 21 December 2017 and 2 January 2018 – for emergency workplace matters during this period please contact your workplace delegate or email email@example.com and an ETU official will make contact with you.
Over the holiday period the ETU will be operating with a reduced staff complement to facilitate annual leave. If your organiser is not contactable during this period please call the ETU office on 02 9267 4844 and your enquiry will be directed to an official or officer of the union.
We would like to wish all members a very merry Christmas and a safe and happy holiday period.
The ETU Construction & Contracting Picnic Day is being held on Monday 4 December - financial ETU members and their families are invited to come along and enjoy an affordable day out. Tickets available online, from your delegate, ETU organiser or the ETU Sydney Office.
Join us 11.30am Thursday 16 November - Belmore Park, Sydney (near Central Station).
The gains come in a new agreement accepted in principle by ETU members today.
The EBA will deliver:
• a 12% pay rise over three years
• superannuation boosted from 10% to 12%
• MERT redundancy payments up from $66 to $74.
ETU organiser Steve Bankes said: 'This is a great outcome for our lift technicians in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong.
'Our members won significant significantly improved wages and superannuation without taking industrial action.
'Management wanted to avoid a protracted dispute such as we saw recently at Kone.
'The lesson is that strong and determined workers organised in the union have a huge advantage.
'When we stick together we win,' said Steve.
A draft EBA will be sent to Thyssenkrup employees over the next few weeks, to be voted on by a mass meeting of ETU members.
STOWE"S FAULTY WIRING SHOCKS BARANGAROO WORKER
ETU action today saw a Prohibition Notice issued to contractor Stowe Australia after a worker received an electric shock at Barangaroo yesterday.
Faulty wiring installed by unlicensed electricians caused the shock, regulator SafeWork NSW found.
The Notice bans all work on mounted power points in the affected area until new systems, including supervision, are in place.
The incident is just the latest safety breach on the massive Barangaroo site under builder Lend Lease.
ETU organiser Fred Barbin called on Stowe to properly train workers in the required temporary wiring standard AS 3012.
‘The ETU will continue to actively monitor the Barangaroo site to ensure workers can go home safely,’ said Fred.
SAFETY CONCERNS ON YOUR SITE? CONTACT THE ETU TEAM IMMEDIATELY
Electricians again walk off $200m Opera House renovation over safety fears followings asbestos tests
Electrical workers this morning stopped work on the $200 million renovation of the Sydney Opera House, refusing to continue with the installation of cabling through the iconic building after receiving confirmation that potentially-deadly friable asbestos had again been located in work areas.
Scientific testing of samples collected yesterday were this morning confirmed to contain friable asbestos, sparking a meeting of electrical workers where they decided to walk off the job immediately until the serious safety issue was resolved.
The incident is the second time in two months that asbestos concerns have halted renovation works on the iconic building, with the Electrical Trades Union demanding the safety regulator and NSW Government intervene to ensure the issue is resolved.
“This issue was first identified two months ago, with SafeWork NSW giving builder Laing O'Rourke a weak slap on the wrist. The company had seven days to remove the asbestos or eliminate the threat to workers through appropriate safety measures and have clearly failed to do so,” ETU secretary Dave McKinley said.
“Electricians yesterday raised the alarm that they were again being exposed to loose asbestos fibres, which has now been confirmed by scientific testing.
“Two months after this major safety issue was uncovered, and the builder was ordered to rectify it by the safety regulator, we have again seen workers exposed to these carcinogenic fibres.”
Mr McKinley said the union was demanding the NSW Minister for Better Regulation, Matt Keen, immediately launch an investigation as to why SafeWork NSW refuses to impose a prohibition notice on Laing O'Rourke, which would prevent any construction work from taking place in the contaminated areas until the asbestos was isolated and removed by specialist contractors.
“It is completely unacceptable that workers, performers and the general public continue to be exposed to a toxic substance at this iconic building, particularly as the builder is receiving $200 million from taxpayers to carry out the renovations,” he said.
“Electricians have made a decision to put their safety first, despite the fact that Laing O'Rourke previously threatened to have them prosecuted in the Fair Work Commission after accusing them of taking unlawful industrial action when they last stopped work over asbestos concerns.
“It’s pretty clear the system is broken when workers are threatened with legal action for refusing to expose themselves to a deadly substance like asbestos, yet the safety regulator seems unwilling to ensure the builder is abiding by workplace health and safety laws.
“The NSW Government need to get off their backsides, take responsibility for this serious issue, and ensure that all asbestos is removed from the Opera House.”
The Canberra sparkie clinched the vacant champion’s belt earlier this month. He dominated Queenslander Liam Hutchinson for six rounds before the fight was stopped.
Diamond Dave led comfortably on all scorecards when his opponent was badly cut in an accidental head clash.
The Capital Fight Night earlier this month was sponsored by the Electrical Trades Union.
A ringside table of ETU construction members and officials cheered the power-punching southpaw on his way to the national title.
Dave Toussaint, who fights in the ETU blue and gold, thanked the union during his victory speech.
Trained by CFMEU organiser Garry Humphries, Dave’s next bout is likely to be on 25 November in Brisbane on Jeremy Horn’s undercard.
Dave was an Electrogroup apprentice before working for contractor Fredon. His professional record stands at 12-0.
Fellow ETU member Felipe Ferreira fought and lost on points on the Capital Fight Night undercard, taking his record to 6-3.
Thanks to Justin's Photo Works for the image.
- KONE LIFT WORKERS WIN AGAIN
- ETU Christmas & New Year Office Hours
- Get Your Tickets! ETU Construction Picnic Day
- Change the Rules Rally - 16 November
- Are you 30yrs or younger? Join us for ETU Youth
- THYSSENKRUP LIFT WORKERS WIN 12% HIGHER PAY & 2% MORE SUPER
- BARANGAROO: STOWE ISSUED PROHIBITION NOTICE AFTER UNION ACTION
- Electricians again walk off $200m Opera House renovation over safety fears followings asbestos tests
- They Weren't Asking for Much
- ETU MEMBER 'DIAMOND DAVE' TOUSSAINT WINS AUSTRALIAN MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
- ACT Government (2)
- ActewAGL (3)
- AMPControl (2)
- Apprentices (46)
- Ausgrid (5)
- Aviation (1)
- Bluescope Steel (3)
- Business Equipment (18)
- Coca Cola (4)
- Eastern Tree Service (3)
- Electrical Contracting (108)
- Electrical Servicing (93)
- Endeavour Energy (4)
- Essential Energy (2)
- Federal Government (6)
- General Notices (99)
- General Trade (66)
- Generation (2)
- Licensing (7)
- Lift Industry (51)
- Manufacturing (5)
- Member Benefits (4)
- Networks NSW (1)
- NSW Government (8)
- OH&S (40)
- Poker Machine Industry (9)
- Port Waratah Coal (1)
- Qantas (3)
- Rail (4)
- RMS (3)
- Snowy Hydro (3)
- Superannuation (1)
- Sydney Water (3)
- TransGrid (4)